Friday, August 26, 2005

FatBoys theme

The theme verse for Fatboys for the 2005-2006 academic school year comes from Deuteronomy 15:11. This verse talks about giving to the needy, which refers to them as neighbors, with open hands. The context of this verse is saying that we should not give and do ministry with the expectation of receiving, giving and looking forward to the reward we will be given.
Rather, we should give and do ministry out of our own hearts and desire to serve God because He deserves at least that. Yes, we will be rewarded, and we should look to God for those rewards and not rewards offered by man. However, don't do ministry thinking:

If I give this poor person some money, God will see and reward me.

Rather, give out of the kindness of your heart.

This man is poor, let me give him some money to help.

FatBoys is a homeless ministry located in Denver and every Thursday night we go downtown to the homeless to help them out and give them some of the basics, such as food and clothing. My challenge this year, and I think the mission of the ministry, is that we give openly and without expectations. We know we will be rewarded, but we don't give to receive; we give because we want to give (we want to glorify God).


Challenge: Give liberally (and by that I me with open hands and no strings attached)

No comments:

Post a Comment